||West Coast Sailing 4 Star System
In order to help you evaluate the boats more accurately we have devised a 4 star system for the four critical areas of the Laser: Hull/Deck, Sail, Spars, and Blades.
Deck and Hull
- * Mast step repaired; noticeable damage; major gelcoat/fiberglass work; very soft hull/deck.
- ** Softer hull and deck. Minor gelcoat or fiberglass work. Cosmetic damage.
- *** Light scratches/dings in gelcoat. Solid mast step. Stiff deck and hull, good race condition.
- **** Like new condition. Only minor scratches and scuffs to gelcoat.
- * 5+ years. Soft and very stretched out. Only good for recreational use.
- ** 2-4 years old. Softer and noticeable stretched. Practice sail condition.
- *** 1-2 years old. Good shape, general race condition.
- **** 6 Months old. Crisp, excellent shape, top race condition.
- * Major corrosion, bends, dents or loose fittings. Recreational condition only.
- ** Minor bends, wear or corrosion. Noticeable to race performance.
- *** Small wear and tear, mostly cosmetic. Negligible to race performance.
- **** Like new condition. Straight, only minor cosmetic scratches.
- * Broken tips, large bends or gouges, significant past repairs.
- ** Smaller chips and scratches. Minor warping. Noticeable to race performance.
- *** Light use, minor chips or scratches mostly cosmetic No warps or bends.
- **** Like new, top race condition.